Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My First 5k


The first weekend in October, Matt and I participated in the Lititz Fall Blast 5k.  I've never done a 5k, and for that matter I don't even enjoy running that much but it was one of my goals for this year so I finally got up the guts to sign up for one and do it! After having Piper it took me a while to get back into things.  First of all I just didn't have the extra energy at first to exercise, not to mention it was the last thing on my mind!  It was probably when Piper was 6 months old that I decided I really needed to get back into a workout routine.  Matt and I started running in the evenings at a nearby park and Piper would come along in our jogging stroller.  It was pretty rough at first to get back into things but we took it slow, and Matt is always a great encourager!  Shortly after that one of my work friends told me about the couch to 5k apps that were out there so I downloaded one on my iPod and we jumped into the middle of one of the programs and finished it up the week of the race!

The race itself was a bit rough.  It was October but it was in the high 80s and muggy (ugh) when we ran that morning!  I felt like I never hit my stride which was really frustrating and the whole run was just hard.  I think some of it had to do with the fact that we ran the first mile faster than we normally do which didn't bode so well for the rest of the race.  Rooky mistake. All in all we completed the race just under 37 minutes, averaging a little over 12 minutes per mile.  Nothing to brag about but we finished :) and I can check one more thing off of my goals list for this year!  I'm thinking I might try to do a least one race a year just to do it.  Overall it was a good experience and while Piper didn't run with us she was waiting to cheer us on with uncle Shannon and aunt Jennifer when we came down the home stretch!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment