Thursday, April 4, 2013

Medicine Cabinet REDO!

A couple weeks ago I decided to tackle a small project that's been on my list for quite a while... the Medicine Cabinet.  When we first bought our house and had it all fixed up everything had gotten a new paint job.  The outside of the medicine cabinet was painted, but the inside still had the old off-white paint that needed some help.

See... pretty and white on the outside!

It had been bothering me for a while, but I just never got around to doing it.  I thought it would be neat to stencil a pattern on the back but that just seemed time consuming, pushing this item further back on my list of things to do.

At the end of last year I found Alejandra!  She has a ton of tips and advice on organizing your home.  One of the things she mentioned was using contact paper to dress up the inside of drawers and cabinets.  It was simple, cheap, and totally gave it the stenciled look I was going for.  She mentioned the fact that you could pick up some contact paper at the dollar store, sweet right?!  Who doesn't love the dollar store!  So a trip to the dollar store and $15 bucks later (you know you can't just get one thing when you go to the dollar store, common!)  I was ready to tackle this project!

Step one was to paint the inside edges white.  I didn't have any leftover paint on hand and didn't feel like doing another trip for a miniscule amount of white paint so I pulled out a tube of acrylic paint from my art stash. (not recommended, I'm now wishing I would have just made another run, it peels off pretty easily.  Maybe I'll go back and fix it later...but lets be honest I probably won't! haha)

This was after the first coat!  See that ugly yellowness :/  eck!  

Then it was a simple as measuring out the correct size on the contact paper and sticking it to the back!  How easy is that!  Shelves, and products back in and voila!  New better looking cabinet!

So much better and it only took a couple hours, and most of the time was waiting for the paint to dry!  An easy afternoon makeover.  I love being able to cross things off my list!! :D  It gives me such a good feeling!

What about you?  What are those dreaded little projects that seem to haunt your to-do lists?  

No comments:

Post a Comment